Tuesday, March 28, 2006

musing...

The pixie should pen this post, not me. But since she is still a bit reticent about blogging, I’ll take a quick stab at it.

As I continue down the path of discipleship, I am beginning to realize that I will probably never be the pastoral superstar that I was trained to be. I don’t think that sinners and saints will develop into a mega-church, I won’t lead a pastoral staff that’s larger than a major league roster and I doubt that I’ll spend my weeks speaking at conferences and weekends facilitating retreats. Thankfully, I’m learning to be ok with the fact that I’m called to be Andrew instead of Peter and, under the guidance my wife and spiritual director, I’m starting to develop a theology of the ordinary.

From my perspective, a theology of the ordinary does not provide you with the principles of schematics that you need to do “great things” for God, but rather enables you to not only to endure, but love a difficult co-worker. Moreover, a theology of the ordinary does not enable you to interpret the Word of God for your community, but it does suggest some ways that you can incite and participate in a community of interpretation. As with so many of my posts lately, this one needs and deserves a far greater amount of development and thought. However, I like to share my inclinations as much – or more – than I like to share my “conclusions,” with you. Moreover, I think that a number of you might have something to add.

May God’s face shine upon you and His Spirit guide you as you learn to sketch out your own ordinary theology. Much love.

1 comment:

Agent B said...

Ain't nothing wrong with being an ordinary theology guy, etc.

I don't think I know ANYONE who can avoid the temptations that go along with being a pastoral superstar, myself included. So...probably best to not be one.