i tagged kellie*
1. one book that changed your life: Descent into Hell by Charles Williams. This fantasy by the "unknown" Inkling presents escapism as evil & sacrifice as love. I was on my knees, crying after I read it.
2. one book that you've read more than once: The Book of Sorrows by Walter Wannegrin. This is my go-to book when I am down. The story of the prevailing community and love of the Church always gives me the strength to go the extra mile.
3. one book you'd want on a desert island: Robinson Crusoe for obvious reasons.
4. one book that made you laugh: Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year by Ann Lamott. I think she expresses my anxieties about being an "adjusted" parent quite well.
5. one book that made you cry: Both #1 & 2 above. #2 makes me cry every time.
6. one book you wish you had written: Lilith and Sir Gibbie by George MacDonald. I'm in good company here as Lewis Carrol & C.S. Lewis were also dedicated to MacDonald's work.
7. one book you wish had never been written: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Bad, bad educational experience.
8. one book you're currently reading: Just finished Shoeless Joe by Kinsella over the weekend. Haven't picked up another yet.
9. one book you've been meaning to read: Vegetables Love: A Book for Cooks** by Barbara Kafka & Christopher Styler. When we go to B&N, I always skim a pile of cookbooks. This is the next on my list to buy.
* but not in that way. well, not here anyway...
** whew. i am so glad this book is not about some unspeakable fetish.
I Was Fired for Not Being a Christian
1 week ago