Thursday, April 14, 2005

oklahoma, circa 1986

i've never thought of myself as a sentimental person. long distance commercials do not phase me, i would never attend high school reunions and the room doesn't get "dusty" when espn classic airs reruns of the 1985 world series (filled with profanity maybe, but not dusty).

that being said, for the last week or so, i've been immersed in memories of my childhood. i've been waking up on summer mornings only to find my baby brother, snug in his yoda underroos, sleeping beside me. i've run through the two and a half neglected acres we called the jungle, where i've redug the trap doors that fooled no one, found dirty condoms on "rock island," sent my brother home after he fell through thin ice lest he get hypothermia, and caught crawdads, hundreds and hundreds of crawdads, and subjected them to horribly creative deaths (slingshots, the blacktop death march and dismemberment are just a few of the options). i could go on. i could tell you about mavis jarvis and in-house suspension, what my friend gabe taught me about my vocation, officiating floor hockey games in the gymnasium, but i won't.

i will, however, confess that i am becoming a bit sentimental. as the years pass the edges of my childhood experience, the fear, failure, my inability to hold my own in honors math, are wearing off and leaving me with a deep sense of wonder. and wonder ain't half bad. in fact, wonder seems to be leading me just a bit closer to the holy and hidden heart of it all.

4 comments:

jonathan said...

You guys were cruel. We always ate our crawdads. Death by boiling is the only acceptable way to go. :)

g13 said...

we weren't that cruel. one or two crawdads survived the black top death march.

the reward for survival was partial dismemberment.

jonathan said...

for some reason we were opposed to personally carrying out torture (with the exception of the rare times we got our hands on firecrackers). Our favorite pastime was to throw things into spiderwebs and anthills and watch the results.

Of course, occasionally, something would prove to be too large and partial dismemberment would be necessary to give the ants a fighting chance...

joolz said...

Gentry, this is lovely writing.

(and timely that you post it now, as I've been feeling a hankering to see my family and laugh over our memories lately.)