Monday, April 11, 2005

my long awaited review of fever pitch part 1

the primary problem with fever pitch is that it does not work on any level.

first, it does not work as a baseball movie. as most of us have experienced personally, and even more of us vicariously, a baseball field is a beautiful and often magical place. if you ask any true baseball fan, they can tell you about the first time they exited the tunnel at yankee stadium and saw the deep green expanse of left center, walked up to bush stadium and viewed the arch inspired facade or wound their way up to the upper deck of royals stadium, where they were greeted with a magnificent view of the fountains (not to mention I-40 I-70. thanks uncle cade!). unfortunately the cinematography of fever pitch fails to convey either the physical beauty of the field or the lyrical beauty of a perfect wind-up or the sweet moves of a short stop turning two. the stock footage of the games is decent enough, but the shots that the farrelly's directed were horrible. i'm convinced that the blind imbecile who willingly purchased petey the bird could have made more of those shots. in true fenway fashion i would have to say, cinematographer, cinamatographhhher, cinamatogrepherrrrrrrrrrrrr....you suck! furthermore, the portrayals of the fenway faithful were utterly unbelievable. i've been to fenway and have sat close to where the quirky, irrepressible fans sit, so i can assure you that their dialogue is not pg-13 material. i have heard profanities at fenway that i never knew existed and the hometown faithful have made me blush more times than i can count. fans at fenway do not fail to use the f-bomb, they do not talk about "the curse" (they leave such ignorant talk to mindless muckrakers such as Shaughnessy) and they do not fail to discuss subtle nuances of the game, such as whether a one out sacrifice is mathematically sensible or whether lefty-lefty pitching substitutions make an ounce of sense. the fans at fenway, and i'm talking about the real fans--not the beachball pounding, wave joining, blathering idiots who populate the dunkin dugout environs of the bleachers--know baseball better than any fans in the world. when i am there, i am proud to be one of them. turning them into jibber-jabbing, non-cursing, conga-line dancing idiots is reprehensible. on second thought, its worse that that...it's filthy! finally, it does not work as a baseball movie because the narrative ark of the season is never in doubt (hence, no suspense whatsoever) and the filmmakers profane the game by subliminating the story of the season to an idiotic, insipid romance. if you're going to make a baseball movie, make a baseball movie. the narrative arc of the baseball season can sustain a love story here and there (think jake taylor and his sexy librarian, crash and his nun of the "church of baseball"), but do not subliminate the baseball to some player or fan's affection for some broad. okay, i need to get to work. more to come...

12 comments:

Before Girl said...

Saying this, keep in mind taht I have no intention of seeing the movie because I have no interest.

The reason why there is no cinematography of the beauty of the field or what lies beyond is because the city of Boston is a smoking hole of dead-ends, dirt, and has all of the grace of an aging barfly.

As for why they stuck romance into the movie was to get the biggest possible return of moviegoers: they tried for the baseball fans (male and female), they tried for Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore fans (male and female) and tried for the female, non-baseball audience as well as the male audience who wanted to go to the movies, but couldn't make a decision with their significant other on what to see.

leanne said...

Good stuff, Jeff. Any reading material that bashes Shaughnessy is a-ok in my book. And I agree with you wholeheartedly about everything.

We should try to catch a game this summer.

leanne said...

Krista, your comment broke my heart. The movie certainly portrayed Boston to be cleaner and prettier than it is, but it's still an incredibly beautiful city, regardless of the mess they're making of it right now.

ahbahsean said...

You work??!

g13 said...

becky, it's definitely up for debate.

leanne, i would enjoy that. let me know when you get your hands on some tickets.

krista, forgive me for saying this, but your perspective on our fair city is tainted by your lack of exposure to other urban settlements. visit oklahoma city, indianapolis and detroit then get back to me, mmmmkay?

DJ Word said...

The movie was not horrible, but not good either. It was kinda like a season where the Marlins or Diamondbacks win the series. At least it is not the Yankees, Cubs or Braves. But, could we not do a lot better than this?

My first experience at Fenway (April 1994) was a wonder. the fans showed me the pole, the seat where Williams hit an important homer, and much more. one of the guys was a bus driver and fully drunk (but not to worry, not driving until 6 am).

There was a steal at home by Nixon. It was my first steal of home to score the eventual winning run (a beautiful sight in person). The guy in front of me explained that it had happened last year (Nixon). he had the date and inning. Mo Vaughn homered. Someone gave me "Mo Money." A truly wondrous night. Nothing like the film.

As for Krista's lack of understanding of the beauty of Boston, where do you live? in Eastie?

Boston is one of the most beautiful cities in America. I have been to most of the major cities and lived in 5. Its aura beaten only by San Fran (and maybe New Orleans- would be NYC if not for the clean up of Times Square)). It always comes across wonderful in film (well, maybe not in Celtic Pride).

I digress.

cade said...

I-70, man. I-70. I-40 is down south in your neck of the woods. that said...i miss those fountains.

Before Girl said...

Okay, so we have "breaking a heart," "tainted," and "lack of understanding" as far as comments go. I'd just like you to know that those who wrote these things hurt my feelings and made me angry. My opinion is my opinion, no more or less than anyone else's on movies, music or anything else people blog about so I can't help but feel a bit singled out. If that's the way you feel, fine, and now you know how I feel.

g13 said...

i didn't intend to be harsh krista. if i'd have known how you would recieve my comments, i wouldn't have said a thing.

though i can't speak definitively for others, i don't think they had any malice towards you either.

enjoy your evening.

DJ Word said...

Krista,

my only semi rude comment was in regards to East Boston. if you are from there, I am truly sorry.

leanne said...

Krista, I sincerely apologize. I did not intend to hurt your feelings at all. I love this city to death.. It does make me sad when others don't see the beauty of it, but I meant no disrespect at all. My "breaking heart" comment was said playfully - I'm sorry it didn't translate.

jonathan said...

Petey the bird!

p.s. - Portland (OR) is prettier than Boston