Monday, January 17, 2005

question one of the heidelberg catechism

"what is your only comfort in life and in death?"

"that i am not my own, but belong, body and soul, to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ."

while i readily assent to this answer it is only rarely evident in my life. i long to incarnate this answer more faithfully in the coming year.

so when...

i have a mind for leisure, but there is ministry left to do, i will find comfort in the service of others.

there is opportunity to expose my brother or sister's offense, i will take comfort in Christ's atonement and find the strength to forgive seventy times seven.

my pessimism and/or hypochondria encourages a fear of death i will take comfort in the promised resurrection.

the church succeeds i will credit Christ. when we fail i will take comfort in Christ's promise that the gates of hell will not prevail.

i am tempted to mindlessly insert my opinion i will take comfort in being quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

simply stated, my prayer is that my assensus will flower forth into fidelitas.

No comments: