Wednesday, July 09, 2008

overheard: the ten most hypocritical christian athletes

4. Andy Pettitte

HOW MUCH HE LOVES JESUS: In his sports metaphorically-titled book, Strike Zone: Targeting a Life of Intregrity and Purity, Andy Pettitte had this to say about how he wants to live his life for the Lord, “As a Christian I also have one goal. I want to fulfill God’s purpose for my life. I constantly ask myself “What does God want me to do?” and “Where does He want me to go?”

WHY JESUS HATES HIM: WHY JESUS HATES HIM: Apparently God wants him to do steroids. And he wants him to go to the congress and lie about it. After getting called out by Brian McNamee for taking H.G.H., Pettitte needed to read Romans 13:1-5, a passage in the Bible that says you shouldn’t lie to the civil government. Did he really need to find that line to be sure about lying? I guess Pettitte initially thought the explicit “Thou shalt not lie” commandment actually meant “Thou shalt not lie…unless you’re talking to someone who was elected to office. Then you can lie your ass off. Amen.”

you can read up on the other offenders over at holy taco.

ht: deadspin

3 comments:

james said...

Both the Deion Sander photo and write up are killing me...only paying $1500 out $4K on a car repair 'cause Jesus told him to....sheesh

g13 said...

i think my favorite - for reasons i won't post here - is jeff gordon.

Anonymous said...

And, you gotta love Carl Everett's "gays being gay is wrong." But straights being straight is right! Holla!

And where was Lance Armstrong on this list (see Jeff Gordon)...hmmm, my wife or Sheryl Crow...hmmm Sheryl Crow, or Kate Hudson?

At this rate it'll be: hmmm, Kate Hudson or Miley Cyrus?

Kevin Smith Clark