Tuesday, November 21, 2006

unanxious daze: an exodus from under-employment


today i am celebrating my ninth month at Silvestri.* and, in even better news, yesterday i got laid off!

as sick as it sounds, for the last 24 hours i have been in a jubilant mood. as of tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 p.m. i never have to explain to the good folks at hotflash america that we do not return items from 2004, serve as my manager's fashion adviser and will never have to say put your big girl panties on and deal with it or you've got boobs! ever again. can you believe that they are actually paying me to leave this company that will soon cease to exist? me neither.

of course i feel bad for my coworkers, some of whom are afraid of re-entering the job market after a thirty year hiatus and others who are loathe to leave an industry that - for some godforsaken reason - they love. but make no mistake, tomorrow after i've given one last hug, muttered one final encouraging cliche and logged off my computer i will once again be a free man.

i am ready to offer one long, last goodbye to silvestri and say hello to a non-profit job that i can actually enjoy (or at least endure). by God's grace, i hope that i never have to settle for a job like this again.

during this time of transition, i would appreciate it if those of you who know and suffer me would be willing to challenge me when i set my occupational sights too low, know of any leads you stumble across and perhaps even whisper a prayer for kellie and i from time to time.

now, if you'll excuse me, i am going to pour a cup of tea and head over to
Viva El Birdos. much love, much peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Welcome (back) to this world.

I'm glad it's a good thing for you. And I hope the exit/comp pay is above average.