Tuesday, May 30, 2006

all aboard

when i was a kid, i often loathed calling grand central station home. at our house the phone rang constantly, family and friends came and went constantly and nine months out of the year the front door was wide open, inviting people to look, lean and live into our lives. although generally hospitable to our guests and usually courteous on the phone, i was often sequestered in my room where i sought silence and snapped at interruptions.

fueled by adolescent angst i often hated the non-stop energy of that place and swore i would live differently. i swore i would live differently.

but here i sit, in my own house, following old patterns by (presumably) seeking silence in my room. the phone has yet to ring, but no less than five people have been in and out of the house in the last hour, one friend is in the process of moving out of our front room so that another can move in, kellie and becky are clanging around in the kitchen, cade and alex are talking over the french open in the living room and the front door is open. the front door is open.

feel free to look, lean and live into our life. i’ve freely set aside my angst and have accepted my role as a supervisor of grand central station east. make no mistake, i still want my silence, but i hope this is a place where strangers are welcome, friends become family and faith finds feet.

8 comments:

Before Girl said...

Just how many people live in your house? As much as I like my friends, that would drive me crazy. I'm becoming such a hermit these days.

g13 said...

3 + dizzy on the first floor, 1 on the second floor and an indeterminate number on the third floor.

i hear what you're saying. in theory it would drive me crazy too, but in practice i love it.

btw - thanks for the heads up on the new coupland novel. i couldn't borrow your copy, could i? : )

Anonymous said...

See what great training we provided with our "open door policy" you grew up with?? When you have kids, you'll see why it's best to be the "kool-aid house on the block" rather than not knowing what they're up to elsewhere! :) It warms my heart to see you inviting others to look, lean and live in your life! ~ MOM

g13 said...

right now we're the "champagne of beers house on the block," but kool-aid may come into play at some point in the future: )

Agent B said...

champagne of beers house

no wonder you have people in and out...

Before Girl said...

And here I thought of Jonestown, first thing, upon reading the Kool-Aid comment. Sorry that's grim.

As for Coupland-you can on TWO conditions: 1.you RETURN it when done. 2. Can I give it to Dr. J to give to you?

g13 said...

um, the answer is yes and yes. if memory serves, i've always been a trustworthy, if a little delinquent, borrower: )

Before Girl said...

Okay, yes you can borrow it. I will bring it to James tomorrow. Yes, a little deliquent, but I guess that's okay. (I'm grudging, but accomodating, but you know that about me already.)