Tuesday, May 03, 2005

musing

i'm still here. i haven't had much to say lately, so i've kept my mouth shut.

cade slipped me ben folds' songs for silverman last week and i'm really digging it. it's melancholic, introspective and, at many points, right on. the first track on the album, appropriately titled bastard, raised a question that i've been wrestling with for days.

"So why you gotta act like you know when you don't know?
It's okay if you don't know everything
Why you gotta act like you know when you don't know?
It's okay
If you don't know everything"


contrary to the opinion of some, i have always been more aware of my ignorance than enamored by my knowledge. anyway...here's hard evidence of my ignorance.

things i don't know:

  • what evangelism looks like for our church in our current context

  • whether the cardinals will win a world series in my lifetime

  • why i failed to fully experience some of the places i've lived (chief on this list: newtown, ct and waukesha, wi)

  • whether i'll be able to steer clear of universalism in my latter days

  • if i'll ever escape the clutches of .com

  • why ankiel contracted steve blass disease

  • why i've never been able to fast

  • why my brother won't return my calls

  • where the last ten years went

  • why i joined a fraternity

  • why i seem destined to be an amateur everything rather than a professional something

  • whether dizzy will ever stop destroying my shit

  • why i have always made a percentage of people, especially christians, incredibly uncomfortable

  • the cause of my hypochondria

  • how to multiply fractions

  • why i'm afraid of death

  • why i stopped visiting daybreak

  • why my boss is pleased with my relative lack of productivity

  • how to reconcile appearance and reality

  • why i am so judgmental


a fitting melancholic response to an introspective album. rest assured that i am not depressed and please refrain from stroking my ego or prescribing xanax.

7 comments:

james said...

A fine post. kind of fits with the "do believes" and "don't believes" in a good and different sort of way. Glad you did it.

Anonymous said...

Guess What? Your brother doesn't return my calls either!!!

joolz said...

Aw, mom, cute!

I love Ben Folds. I'm a sucker for piano, though I haven't heard that album yet. Perhaps I can convince that Cade to send me a copy in exchange for promising him I won't make him text me anymore since he hates it so.

Gentry, some of those things on your list I wholly identify with. I have found that I'm less of a hypochondriac as I become vaguely more grown-up.

I appreciate you sharing the list. Thank you.

cade said...

great post man. glad i could use someone else's art to inspire you. it's a gift.

joolz- done and done. you can pay me back by going to the white sox game in june. btw, tell jamie and brian that they're going as well, since i haven't heard from them.

cade said...

b-

your's was the one email i didn't have. i'll be in touch.

sorry for turning your blog into a bbs, gentry.

g13 said...

uncle cade, i'll be your gimp anytime.

Before Girl said...

I would think that getting older would make one more of a hypochondriac, not less. Like we are older, so we know more about how much damage we have sustained over a lifetime.