Wednesday, February 02, 2005

odd encounter of the week

on monday i shuffled up to the short urinal, dropped the fly and prepared to go about my business. i casually noticed that the office extrovert was standing in the slot next to me, but didn't pay him much attention. i realize that some people cannot help but communicate while relieving themselves or dropping a deuce, but i'm not one of them. from my perspective, those moments are slivers of solitude which are not to be interrupted.

of course, the extrovert thought differently. instead of respecting my solitude by keeping his eyes front and center or slightly pointed towards the ceiling, he interrupted my moment with manic eyes and said, "i can't believe that in five weeks i'm going to be a daddy!" though i mumbled some consonant of affirmation, in my mind i was thinking, "what do you want me to do fella? shake your hand?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree-no talking in the can, with only a possible chance of conversing at the sink after. And there is a female version of said office extrovert, so don't think us girls are left out. -krista

Tyler said...

what you've just described hardly ever happens to me, because in any place where more than one person can use the restroom at one time, I must wait till the place is empty before I can go. I know that's silly, but if I can't go by myself, I just step into a stall or leave. If someone walks in while i'm in the middle of 'going,' sometimes, i simply cannot finish. This is never a comfortable moment...the person may have just as well walked up and slapped me in the rear while i was peeing.

g13 said...

tyler, i never would have guessed that you struggled with stage fright. it's not your fault...

meade, there's nothing quite like meeting strange men in reststops is there? even though i'm a rabid redbird fan, i could not have dignified such an encounter with a response.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me feel stupid, Gentry.

-Office Extrovert

g13 said...

i didn't know that the office extrovert was from north carolina! i guess diction lessons helped disguise his drawl.

g13 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.