Friday, January 07, 2005

reader/response

Prov. 1:22-23

“how long, o simple ones, will you love being simple?
how long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?
If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my Spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.”

God help me, but I have been scoffing at your salvation. I have considered myself too sophisticated and urbane to point people to your cross and speak of the salvation found in Jesus. Instead of proclaiming salvation I have simply promoted nurturing human relationships that are sprinkled with a little spirituality and occasionally interrupted by prayer.

God help me! Pour out your Spirit upon me so that I might develop a deeper understanding of your salvation and reckon once again with the One who saves us from our sins. I openly confess that in regard to salvation I am one of the simple ones. I think that salvation is so much more than the individualistic pardon and season pass to heaven that others spoke of in my youth, yet it is also surely more than the vague promise of wholeness and the eventual realization of justice that the progressives proclaim. Although seminary trained, in regards to salvation I a simpleton who knows next to nothing. I have little conception of the transcendent wonder and beauty of the place which lies at the end of this narrow path. But, on account of your grace, I once again believe that the place is enchanted. As a result, I recommit myself to looking for, understanding, dreaming about and anticipating the salvation you have provided for your children.

I repent of both my ignorant assumption of sophistication and scoffing tongue. So pour out your Spirit. Make your words known. Reveal your salvation known to this scoffer and simpleton.

No comments: