Thursday, December 02, 2004

dreaming of the day when we are all more optimistic than jaded

"But darling, I wish you well
On your way to the wishing well
Swinging off of those gates of hell
But I can tell how hard you're trying
Just have that secret hope
Sometimes all we do is cope
Somewhere on the steepest slope
There'll be an endless rope and nobody crying.
~Patty Griffin, Nobody Crying

"Well I wish that you could see me when I'm flying in my dreams
The way I laugh there way up high
The way I look when I fly
The way I live...
The way I fly..."
~Patty Griffin, Chief

"And you can't run away from the nagging dark. You carry it everywhere in your heart. It finishes everything that you start. You can't run away from the nagging dark.

How far can you see? Will you ever be free? Through the blackest night, aw you still hold on tight. Hope is your finest work. It's your finest work. Hope is your finest work of all."
~John Hiatt, The Nagging Dark

many thanks to patty and john for providing an unexpected serving of lectio devina. what are some of the sacred readings that drag you through dark days?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland. No matter how many times I read it, I pull exactly what I need out of it to reassure me that I'm not alone or neurotic (or at least it's okay to be that way sometimes to refocus myself).

"14,000 things to be happy about" by Barbara Ann Kipfer. When things are bad enough that concentration and focus are impossible, just a list of the things that the author wrote that make her happy. No opinions, no theories, just a list to scan and let memories or imagination take over temporarily.

"The Opposite of Fate" by Amy Tan. Biography and musings by the author. It's a nice perspective of what goes on in the mind of a famous author without the pretentiousness bells and whistles.