Monday, November 01, 2004

thank you for calling initech. just a moment

when you dressed up for career day in elementary school or talked to your high school guidance counselor did you have any idea that you would end up in your current job? me neither.

this question arose in my mind after i came back from a (thanks to my prostate far too frequent!) pit stop only to find my co-workers eagerly exhibiting their flexibility. apparently Art is double jointed, Christine, our middle-aged copywriter still has the flexibility of a freshman cheerleader and Dr. James is more pliable than your average yogi (bear).

don't get me wrong...i don't have anything against such exhibitions. i just find the office environment increasingly odd.

4 comments:

g13 said...

amen to that james. i wouldn't have made it six months at christianbook.com without my trusty sidekicks. of course, they'd like to think that i'm their sidekick, but that obviously isn't the case:)

Anonymous said...

I once took one of those computer quizzes that are supposed to tell you what your ideal job is and apparently my answers were too varied for it and I had the result of "no result please try again." The things I want to do either don't pay enough or have rotten healthcare. I've forgotten my skills and I'm losing myself a little bit more every day.

Help...I'm drowning.

Arthur said...

mmm... ministry...

i can't count the number of times when I thought I'd leave here because it didn't fit my traditional views of ministry, but I can't count how many times I felt blessed because of the people I work with...

evangelical ministry needs to be re-thought from its what-church-people-do-for-the-church form into a much broader what-people-do-for-each-other form... and while product editors and developers might never rationalize their work as ministry, there's a lot of ministering that happens every day here in the cubical jungle...

g13 said...

anonymous friend,

i don't have any advice or solutions. but i can offer this encouragement:

"anyone trying to live a spiritual life will soon realize that the most personal is the most universal, hte most hidden is the most public, and the most solitary is the most communal." ~henri nouwen

your struggle is not your own. it is a struggle we all share. may God give us the grace to persevere together.