Monday, July 12, 2004

realization

i confess that i do not delight in your Word.
i do not respond to the rhythms
discern the themes
or identify with the recipients.

i do not savor the poetry of the psalms
leave my heart vulnerable to paul's polemics
or respond to the call to conversion that resonates throughout Hebrews.

i love the subversive narratives and parables of the gospels
but often walk away feeling like one who is
"ever hearing but never understanding
and ever seeing but never perceiving."

Sovereign Lord, when i read your Word please rend my heart.

Spirit, when i hear your Word help me to listen.

Master, when i am confronted by the Word please loosen my stiffened neck.


have you found a regular practice or spiritual discipline that has inclined your hear and opened your heart once again to the Word? if so, i would love to hear your story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. It resonated with me...every word was one I could have written. My husband has loved the Word for 30 years with unwavering fervor and conviction. I've known Jesus for half that time and already it fails to ignite me. Or *I* fail in *letting* it ignite me. I bear no fruit these days. I barely recognize myself.

Anonymous said...

I think I have gone through bible abuse. I mean that as a follower of christ growing up in baptist land, the bible was used as a doctrine gun. I'm right because the bible says.... intepretations were over simplified, contradictions never authentically addressed.I know in my mind that reading, absorbing the bible are important, but I don't have the motivation. The bible seems dead to me, although I know, or hope, deep down that is not the case.

g13 said...

thank you for sharing your thoughts. it is comforting to know that i am not alone.

although i am frustrated with (and afraid of) my apathy towards scripture, i will continue to pray that we will find living water in what often seems to be a dry cistern.

miah said...

gentry i too feel like this could've been my prayer...it has been too long since i have responded to scripture in any way other than intellectual acknowledgement...