Thursday, June 24, 2004

reflection on a midnight confession

although i meant what i said last night, there is little doubt that if i had left the second bottle of Wolaver's I.P.A. in the fridge and revisited my wording in the clear light of dawn i could have offered a more complete (not to mention concise!) confession. however, i suppose there are times that writing is more akin to ventilating a furnace than shaping an equation. last night was one of the former, and it felt good.

as i read my post again this morning, looking for typos or syntactical snakes, i remembered a quotation from merton's Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander which clearly expresses what i was trying to say in my own convoluted way.

"In Louisville, on the comer of Fourth and Walnut, in the center of the shopping district, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I loved all these people, that they were mine and I was theirs, that we could not be alien to one another even though we were total strangers. I have the immense joy of being human, a member of the race in which God himself became incarnate. The sorrows and stupidities of the human condition can no longer overwhelm me, now that I realize what we all are. If only everybody could realize this! But it cannot be explained. There is no way of telling people that they are all walking around shining like the sun."

No comments: