Saturday, March 06, 2010

musing...

at soybean bible there was a preacher who constantly wept while proclaiming the word. i listened to him on a number of occasions and usually walked away frustrated by the way his unkempt emotions obscured his ideas.

times have changed.

now, when i read the poetry of isaiah or hear the penitential psalm on the publican's lips my eyes are often filled with tears. in the study the beauty of God's grace overwhelms me in the most unexpected moments and emotions obscure my mind like the clouds that cloaked sinai.

but when i step out of the study for a cup of coffee or lunch with a friend i cannot seem to bring the beauty with me. often i am saddled with sarcasm and cynicism instead.

in these moments i am so jealous of the old man at soybean and i long for the Spirit to spin me into pitcher that can pour out the grace that sustains me upon this journey.

---

“Whenever you find tears in your eyes, especially unexpected tears, it is well to pay the closest attention. They are not only telling you something about the secret of who you are, but more often than not God is speaking to you through them of the mystery of where you have come from and is summoning you to where, if your soul is to be saved, you should go to next.” –Uncle Freddy

2 comments:

rini said...

Jeff, I've been following your blog for awhile and just wanted to mention this post is one of the most resonant things I've read in awhile. Thanks.

g13 said...

Thanks for your kind words. Your encouragment means a lot to me.