Monday, October 23, 2006

overheard by pixie

Lunch break at a doctor's office is pretty much synonymous with magazine perusal. Today I decided to take a break from "People" and read the
cover article in last week's Time Magazine about Barak O'Bama.

I have a hunch that the following quote will be following me around for the next few days quietly disrupting my neatly ordered ideas. Since misery loves company, I shared the quote with Jeff who wanted to subject the whole blogosphere to the misery that is the thinking mind.

"It has not always been the pragmatist, the voice of reason, or the force of compromise, that has created the conditions for liberty," he writes about the antislavery movement of the 19th century. "knowing this, I can't summarily dismiss those possessed of similar certainty today - the antiabortion activist...the animal rights activist who raids a laboratory - no matter how deeply I disagree with their views. I am robbed even of the certainty of uncertainty - for sometimes absolute truths may well be absolute." *

The companion article entitled
My Spiritual Journey (did he take IDS 201?) provides some interesting thoughts on the role of community providing a home for ideals, particularly as it led to his conversion to Christianity.

Not all things in life are provided gratis so for these thoughts you will have to do a little reading yourself.

* Bold font in last line added by the Pixie for emphasis.

2 comments:

g13 said...

hmmm...that's what i call a tolerable tolerance.

Mike Murrow said...

first, more from the pixie

second, that quote makes me reconsider all my derision of abortion protesters esp in light of my study of history and what not.... i should have put the proverbial 2 and 2 together and made the equation of antislavery protesters with antiabortionists. i wonder if there were folks in the christian church who sat back and critiqued the methods of the abolitionists as creating road blocks and being an embarrassment - much as i do with the anti-abortion activists.

i think i have some reconsidering to do.

p.s.
thanks for having me in your home for dinner and church pixie, you are a good host... and i loved the stew/soup you cooked up.