Wednesday, August 17, 2005

“look kids! It’s a…it’s a…it’s a rocket ship!”

i haven’t been there yet, but i would still be willing to bet that hell is a lot like bolivar, missouri. it was there, on the unsuspecting stage of baptist bible college, that i revealed my adolescent indulgences to three hundred, hormone-driven teens.

we had been doing hand motions for three days, i was ready to kill one of the other sponsors and was dying for a cigarette. so to say i was sick of c.i.y. was an understatement. on wednesday afternoon, killing time before the alternative alleluia band was supposed to play kevin greer decided to stage a mid-afternoon timewaster. as he began to hand-select the objects of his ridicule from the crowd, i began to feel sick. he was going to pick me. i knew he was going to pick me and all of my self-determined denials wouldn’t do me a damn bit of good. i was right.

as i made my way backstage, barely bottling my rage, the stage manager directed me to a sound-proof green room where i received my assignment. “when you get on stage,” the pimple popping ozark intern told me, “make-believe that you are taking off in a rocket ship.” “is that all you have to tell me,” i asked. “oh yeah, one more thing,” he said, “there’ll be a black chair on stage that you can use however you want.” so there i sat, cursing my fate and awaiting my fifteen seconds. although i couldn’t hear kevin from the green room, i could hear the crowd roaring. in that moment, i knew i was being set up. i was right.

when my moment came, i swept the curtain aside as inconspicuously as possible, tried not to look at the six hundred eager eyes that were staring at me and made my way to the chair. i immediately tipped the chair so that its back was resting on the stage, sat down in the chair so that my back and legs were parallel with the stage, clasped my hands together and put them right below my crotch. then, at the word “go” i trembled violently, made thundering rocket ship noises and rapidly adjusted the imaginary yoke between my legs.

after fifteen seconds of my antics, i was overwhelmed by the roar of the crowd. when i stood up, straightened my shirt and looked in kevin’s eyes, i could see that they were filled with tears. when i looked out at the crowd, i saw my youth minister on his knees laughing. i immediately began to panic.

after i made my way off the stage, flush red in the face, i asked my youth minister what the set up was. he told me in a rushed, hyper-ventilating voice that i was mimicking “what i did in the bathroom.”

that was the last time i waxed my rocket ship in a public setting. and that, my friends, is yet another reason that i am not a youth minister.

9 comments:

g13 said...

notes for the uninitiated: c.i.y. produces christan youth conferences on college campuses every summer. these conferences are known for encouraging conversions, recommitments to Christ and unexpected pregnancies. moreover, ozark is a fundamentalist bible college that produces christian churches, churches of Christ preachers, missionaries and other Christian workers.

Anonymous said...

Did that happen to be on the campus of Southwest Baptist University? I did my undergrad work there. I loved some parts of my experience there and disliked others (mainly the Campus Ministries Cliques). Michael of TN

g13 said...

yep. that's where this shit went down. i had never been more humiliated in my life.

Before Girl said...

I see the word Ozark and I hear banjo music...(for the uninitiated-the movie "Deliverance." 'Nuff said.

g13 said...

elle,

thanks for stopping by. i'm glad that you went catholic. i was a parochial schoolboy and it has stood me in good stead.

are any of those cardinals stocking caps up for sale? if so, let me know. i'd definitely be interested.

Mike Murrow said...

holy shit jg! i love your bed time stories.

i bet your youth pastor is really proud of you now... blogging about JC and all... and shit...

that was meant to be mocking of the YPs (hey, back off i can do it cause i WAS one, but then i grew up)

but it sounds mocking towards you and all of us that blog... about God... and do so using profanity...

oh well... mocking you is good too

Mike Murrow said...

oh, and not to be left out of the Catholic conversation...

i have never been to a Catholic school, except to pick up a friends kids... the teachers were hot (the non-nun-ones). But i have been told i would make a good monk cause i look good in a robe and am fat and one day i will be bald... does that count?

Dale said...

it is my opinion and experience that traveling anywhere beyond 30 miles or so from the border of Missouri toward the interior of the state is akin to visiting hell...if you see Don Deckinger, tell him hi from me.

g13 said...

fletch: mocking me is what this blog is all about. life might as well be a comedy.

muffin: don is dead. i was real sorry about that.