Sunday, November 21, 2004

an unexpected harvest

i am barren. the field of my heart, which once produced a sustainable, if not bountiful, crop now lies completely fallow.

due to the dearth of production i am tempted to despair. i regularly find myself standing on the edge of the field where i smoke camel lights, occasionally piss on the soil and try to discern what went wrong. has the acidity of disobedience tainted my soil for good? has the salt water of sin, which courses through my heart and steadily drips from my tongue rendered the field useless? or is the field merely awaiting the sharp blade of another plowman who can furrow deeper and plant more fertile seed?

answers are allusive. so, as my eyes well up with tears, i strike another match and light another camel. i realize that on the solitary fringe of my heart there is little solace to be found. yet, i am neither completely famished nor devoid of hope. for, during this barren period, i am able to subsist on the fruit of a larger field, of which i am merely a tenant. fortunately, the oddly misshapen and bruised fruit of that field has not failed to provide the sustenance that i need.

thank God for the misshapen, and wholly unexpected, produce of the larger field. after years of living solely off the fruit of my field, i am finally realizing that i am dependant upon other resources to survive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every field needs to be barren at some point, to rest, lie dormant, settle accounts with itself. All this so that it may, with the warmth of sunnier days, be fertile for the seed once again. Likewise, farmers will often sow a field with one grain for a season, another grain for the next season in order to keep the soil fresh and balanced with tie right nutrients. Perhaps you either need a rest, or perhaps a different seed, for just a bit. -krista

AlexPope said...

I wish I could offer some words of encouragement. If there is anything I can do, let me know. It's all good man...

james said...

love you brother.