Monday, August 16, 2004

scheduling sanctification

i am thankful that the Holy Spirit exposes and convicts me of sin. that being said, i think his timing sucks. i would prefer that he provided these unwanted but not unwelcome revelations on a regular, scheduled basis. that way i could plan on cleaning up the polluted pit that is my mouth in late august, work on my penchant for pre-judging people in september and move towards reconciliation with estranged brothers and sisters in october.

however, much to my dismay, he prefers to rip the band-aid off in one quick motion. thus, on saturday i was confronted with the fact that a guy who is developing an intentional christian community in the barrio of salem really isn't the yuppie-ish abercrombie model i took him to be, then on sunday i had to face my own pride after i became embroiled in an unnecessary conflict (it was provoked by a beach ball, of all things!) at a sox game. finally, last night, while being gently admonished for my, okay...i'll admit it, provocation of and participation in 'bleacher-gate,' i was reminded of my proficiency in justifying sin.

i want to work through each of these issues, but would prefer for them to be handled in due order. so, Spirit, if we could get together to develop a sanctification schedule and synchronize our pdas that would be great. i'm more than willing to let you change my life, as long as we proceed according to my terms.

4 comments:

g13 said...

comment as much as you like, friend. by God's grace i've gone from not knowing you to treasuring the friendship. many blessings!

Anonymous said...

I think you are too hard on yourself.

g13 said...

you always thought i was too hard on myself. perhaps i am.

AlexPope said...

I think that is how we would all like things to go in life, on our own terms. Everytime I try write down my schedule in an orderly fashion I keep finding out a couple things; God prefers you to write in pencil, so that he can use the eraser.