Thursday, July 01, 2004

interesting...

as part of his ongoing reflections on the NAE "Statement on Civic Engagement" steve at knightopia recommended reading the thoughtful analysis of the anti-manicheist. i was pleased to find that this blog, written by a professor in economics who is also a confessing christian, provides some of the most intriguing reflection on politics and social issues that i have read in some time. if you're a pseudo policy wonk or pundit you'll appreciate it.

now i'm going to get off my over-caffeinated ass and get to work.

my prayer is that we will be ever more aware of the grace and mercy of Christ that is pursuing us.

1 comment:

DLW said...

Thanks.

I'm glad you liked the entry.

I hope the people at the NAE read it as well.

One of the big influences on me is Wisconsin-style institutionalism of John R. Commons, who was an Christian-turned-Atheist whose background included involvement with the social-gospel movement, but in whose lifetime he played an important role in the development of the unemployment insurance, workers compensation, estate tax and many other reforms that were made in the early 20th century. His students then later on came to be the brain-trust behind FDR's new-deal.

I first learned about him as part of my studies in the history of economic thought, during grad-school.